Monday, September 28

Skin Prep For Brides

I wanted to share a few tips about prepping your skin for your wedding day because, as everyone knows, makeup can only go so far if your skin isn't prepped. There are a few products that I use that I will share, but my biggest suggestion is to get on a facial program and skin care regime with your favorite local spa or esthestician. This will cost some money up front, but will truly get your skin ready for the big day so you will look fabulous and flawless!

Most spas will offer a discount if you prepay for your series of treatments. The main goal would be to incorporate one that includes a few peels or lightening treatments. Straight facials will be great for upkeep, but to get your skin going, a few light peels can really make a difference.

Some will also include a bevy of products that they want you to use under the course of the regime. Make sure it is a product line that you trust, and if possible, take home a week of samples to make sure that you don't have any reactions to the products. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are many other regimes out there, and even shops like Sephora have great ways to purchase a sample system so you don't have to purchase a full product line until you are sure.

With all of that said, I wanted to share a few of my favorite finds that I feel really help with prepping the skin and making one look their best. Here are my picks for some of my medicine cabinet favorites:

Exfoliating Cleanser - Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser. This is a great cleanser to use 2-3 times per weeks to give your skin that extra exfoliation it needs for makeup to be able to glide on and look smooth throughout the day. Make sure if you are doing any peels that this is put away for a week or two!

Serum - Bliss Peeling Groovy Facial Serum. One word for this serum - bomb. It is absolutely crazy how this serum works so well on all sorts of issues; dark spots, fine lines, blemishes and uneven skin tone. It battles them all, and hard! I have been using it for about two months, and my sun damaged skin has made a huge recovery and has simply never looked so smooth.

Moisturizer - There are so many out there that are great, my only standards are that it has an SPF 15 minimum and that it doesn't clog your pores. I personally use a tinted moisturizer from Murad, and I really like it, but it is oil free, so not for everyone.

Eye Cream (day) - L'Oreal Advanced Revitalift Double Eye Lift. With all the eye creams I try (and trust me, there are many), I found one that really is affordable and does a great job at keeping the fragile under eye area moisturized without being sticky. The best part is that this is a two part system, with one side being the under eye cream, and the other is the upper eye lifting gel. It is a pump, so no wasted product either, a big plus in my book.

Eye Cream (night) - Ole Henriksen Virtual Truth Eye Cream. This eye cream is super rich with African red tea, vitamin C and a bunch of fun ingredients I can't pronounce, but is so great to slather on before bed at night. One disclaimer though, make sure it is only used at night, it is so thick that it can ball up which is not so pretty under makeup.

Once a Week Treatment - Origins Modern Friction. This is a great scrub treatment to use about once a week (or more if your skin is tough) to eat up all the dead skin cells sitting on the top layer of your skin. It is also great to use right before a big event or if you just want to look extra nice, as it works almost instantly to make your skin shine.

My other tips for great skin is to keep hydrated, wear a hat when in the sun, and never sleep with your makeup on. It will really wreck havoc on your skin, and no matter how tired, try to get that late night wash in if possible.

I hope these tips help will help you get ready for your big day and all through the year.

Happy Planning!

No comments: